from THE HINDU group of publications
Thursday, October 28, 1999
Business Line |
The Hindu |
I. Logo Logic
The logo is often a classic representaion of the brand's identity and personality. Check your knowledge on some famous brand logos. (4pts each)
- Designed by Landor Associates, this logo represents the Big Dipper constellation. Name the company/brand it represents.
- This famous logo was designed a college student named Carol Davidson for which she was paid a paltry $ 35. This logo went on to become an icon of our modern lives. Name the brand and the name given to its logo.
- Which international food company uses the original Coat of Arms of its founding family, consisting of a nest with a mother protecting her young as its company logo ?
- Which Indian brand has as its logo, a representation of two elephants pulling away a spherical object from opposite sides?
- Nipper the dog is one of the oldest existing logos in the world of brands. Which brand does it represent ?
II. Baseline Play
Dr.Samuel Johnson, a few tens of decades back wrote, "That which is written
without effort is generally read without interest". A powerful warning that
is, for anyone in the writing profession, more so in the advertising business.
Check out the slogans of these TV channels. (1 pt each)
1. 'Explore your World' a. Star Plus
2. 'The Pulse of India' b. MTV
3. 'Enjoy' c. Star News
4. 'Rely on us. We rely on experience' d. TVI
5. 'Aap ki Boli. Aap ka plus point' e. Discovery Channel
III. Copy Test
Following are words picked out of the body copy of a print ad, voice-over of
a TVC or simply, a baseline. Identify the brand. (3pts each)
- 'The new wave in Indian cooking'
- 'There are 176 languages in India. Yet, the word for trust in all of them is one'
- 'The 1.2 billion dollar car is here'
- 'Zero to josh in no time flat'
- 'Time you surprised everyone with your relaxed presentation style'
IV. Take Your Pick
Select the right answer. (2 pts each)
- The advertising agencies Bozell Worldwide and Foote Cone Belding recently announced a worldwide merger. To which advertising group do both of them belong ?
- True North
- The MTV VJ Cyrus Baroocha appears in an endorsement ad for a brand of toilet soap with the closing line, "It's a cool soap, man!". Name the brand of soap ?
- Which is the longest running TV cartoon in history, first launched by Warner Brothers in 1969 exclusively for television, and is now a popular fare on the Cartoon Network ?
- Scooby Doo
- Tom and Jerry
- Johnny Bravo
- It was invented by John T.Dorrance in 1897, and has since been the mainstay of the company's dominance in the branded foods category. Name the invention.
- Frosted flakes for Kellogg's
- Cola drink for Pepsi
- Milk Chocolate for Cadbury's
- Condensed soup for Campbell's
- What famous brand name is derived from a combination of two words, which mean 'dead' in French and 'one' in German ?
Business Line |
The Hindu |
Copyright © 1999 Business Line.
Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are
expressly prohibited without the written consent of Business Line.