Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Thursday, Mar 16, 2006


News
Features
Stocks
Shipping
Archives
Google

Group Sites

Home Page - Telecommunications
Info-Tech - Regulatory Bodies & Rulings
Variety - Sports


Cell operators plan to defy BCCI notice

Thomas K. Thomas

Cricket updates through SMS to continue


Sticky wicket
BCCI had last week issued a legal notice on mobile operators for offering cricket updates through SMS.
Executives from Bharti Tele-Ventures and Reliance Infocomm say BCCI cannot not claim ownership over cricket and all information about the game.

New Delhi , March 15

Cellular operators are planning a counter to defy the notice sent by the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) and continue to offer cricket updates through short messaging service (SMS). The Cellular Operator's Association of India (COAI) is understood to be taking up the issue on behalf of all the operators and may slap a counter notice on BCCI on the grounds that it did not require any prior permission for offering updates of events.

BCCI had last week issued a legal notice on mobile operators for offering cricket updates of the ongoing India-England series to their subscribers through SMS. A legal notice sent through BCCI advocate Mr Ankur Chawla had asked operators to refrain from similar activities in future without obtaining prior permission of the board. BCCI said that cellular operators could get into a commercial agreement with the cricketing body, otherwise, it led to unauthorised violation of the rights of the BCCI and illegal interference with the its legitimate business.

Executives from cellular companies such as Bharti Tele-Ventures and Reliance Infocomm, however, said that BCCI could not claim ownership over cricket and all information about the game.

They said that the industry was planning to challenge the BCCI notice.

The BCCI notice stated that the Indian cricket board had exclusive television rights, Internet and SMS rights and all other similar rights for all test and one-day matches played in India.

The notice also said that operators were continuing with the live updates despite being aware of the recent interim order passed by the Madras High Court, where operators were apparently found to be in violation of the SMS rights exclusively granted by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

More Stories on : Telecommunications | Regulatory Bodies & Rulings | Sports

Article E-Mail :: Comment :: Syndication :: Printer Friendly Page



Stories in this Section
Anil Ambani group to raise stake in RNRL to 55%


Cell operators plan to defy BCCI notice
Net telephony licence fee `ill-conceived', say ISPs
PCs, laptops become dearer
Govt not to change norms for petroleum retail business
6 SEBs spend Rs 4,014 cr on free, subsidised power
Tata Steel eyes 79% in Highveld Steel of SA
ABB eyes acquisitions, takes cautious approach
Infosys ADS premium drops to 6-7 pc
Jalgaon bird flu outbreak dampens poultry industry
Hardening rates to raise interest costs of States
Fixed to mobile convergence in two years



The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2006, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line