Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Monday, Aug 19, 2002

News
Features
Stocks
Port Info
Archives

Group Sites

Industry & Economy - Power


Power loss more in villages: TNEB

N. Ramakrishnan

CHENNAI, Aug. 18

THE Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) has taken up circle-wise energy accounting to give it a better idea of what exactly is the total energy lost and whether this ties in with the consumer profile in the circle concerned.

Beginning last March, the TNEB has introduced this and also accounts for the losses in terms of Aggregate Technical and Commercial (ATC) losses rather than classifying the loss into transmission and distribution losses, and then theft and agricultural consumption separately.

The TNEB has also highlighted the concept of ATC losses to the Union Power Ministry during a presentation it made to the Ministry officials recently.

According to reliable sources, the circle-wise energy accounting is done after taking into consideration the total energy flowing into a sub-station and the revenue collected from metered connections. Therefore, in urban areas, almost all the connections will be metered, whereas in rural areas, the agricultural connections will not be metered.

As per the circle-wise energy accounting, the ATC losses in some of the urban circles ranges from seven to 12 per cent, whereas in rural areas like the Nilgiris and Kanyakumari, where there are some agricultural consumers too, the ATC losses are in the region of 13 per cent.

For instance, in Coimbatore Metro circle, the net energy consumption in June 2002 was 91.65 million units (MU) and the metered consumers accounted for a total consumption of 86.09 MU — that is, the metered consumers accounted for 93.9 per cent of the energy consumed within the circle. In other words, the energy lost was 6.1 per cent.

Likewise, in Madurai Metro, the net circle consumption of energy was 21.064 MU and that accounted for by metered consumers 19.33 MU, or 91.7 per cent. The ATC loss, as calculated by the TNEB, therefore, was 8.3 per cent.

In the four Chennai circles, the ATC loss ranges from 8.5 per cent to 10.9 per cent, which, according to the TNEB, more or less fits into the profile of an urban area. In Chennai Central, the net circle consumption in June 2002 was 156.840 MU and the consumption by metered consumers 143.6 MU. This means that 91.5 per cent of the energy sent into the circle was accounted for or the loss was about 8.5 per cent.

In the Chennai North circle, the net consumption was 125.657 MU and the consumption by metered consumers 114.858 MU - 91.4 per cent. The ATC loss was 8.6 per cent.

In the Chennai South circle, the net consumption was 157.698 MU and the consumption by metered consumers 143.271 MU or 90.8 per cent of the total energy flowing into the circle. In other words, the ATC loss was 9.2 per cent.

In Chennai West circle, the net consumption was 120.549 MU and the consumption by metered consumers 107.529 MU or 89.1 per cent of the total — an ATC loss of 10.9 per cent.

In the Kanyakumari circle, the TNEB found that for a total circle consumption of 30.938 MU, the metered consumers accounted for 27.482 MU, or 88.8 per cent of the total; thereby, leaving an ATC loss of 11.2 per cent.

Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Stories in this Section
Plan panel underlines need to rev up manufacturing sector


Computerised tracking of auto emission in AP
AP Govt steps to improve green cover
Bank loans to core sector project promoters urged
Power loss more in villages: TNEB
Service tax Act soon
Japan aid to be tapped for Cauvery plan phase II
DD relay centre in Bellary
Fridge market warms up with 15 pc growth in Apr-June
AIIMS venture gets caught in the Web
PM's attention drawn to low Rly investments
Citizen showroom in Kochi
Change in States' attitude augurs well for PSU divestment: Shourie
Kerala: PF arrears amount to Rs 52 cr
Keltron empanelling experts for IPR cell
Centre for senior citizens inaugurated in Bangalore
PMRY training programme held in Mangalore
Chennai Trade Centre a hit as exhibition venue
Career guidance — A mela of a different kind
Sahara plans floating ship in Sunderbans
`Festival of India' shows to be revived


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | Home |

Copyright 2002, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line