Business Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Wednesday, Sep 13, 2006
ePaper


News
Features
Stocks
Cross Currency
Shipping
Archives
Google

Group Sites

Industry & Economy - Paper, Board & Newsprint
Large capex may strain paper cos' financials: Crisil

Our Bureau

Industry to invest Rs 9,000 cr


Capital expenditure
The size of capital expenditure in the current phase is nearly four times the size of the capital expenditure carried out between 1996 and 2001
While the business profile of players to strengthen because of robust demand, they may be offset by large project-related debt stock and rising interest rates

Mumbai , Sept. 12

The credit profile of large and medium-sized paper producers in India could come under some strain in the wake of the large capital spending lined up by these companies within the next three years.

The paper industry proposes to plough in Rs 9,000 crore up to 2008-09, with a major chunk of this investment being debt-funded, according to a study on the paper industry by Crisil. About 60 per cent of this spending will go for capacity expansion and the remaining 40 per cent on modernisation of paper mills, installation of co-generation and chlorine-free pulping facilities.

Proposed projects

Some of the proposed projects are the Rs 1,600-crore capacity expansion project of Ballarpur, Rs 635-crore project of AP Paper, Rs 350-crore new pulp mill project of Seshasayee, Rs 385-crore expansion plan of Century Textiles and JK Paper's Rs 235-crore new paperboard machine unit.

Crisil expects the business profile of players to strengthen because of robust demand conditions. However, these benefits will be largely offset by the pressure on the financial profiles of players over the medium term in the wake of large project-related debt stock and rising interest rates, the study says.

About 1.3 million tonnes of fresh paper, board and newsprint capacity and one million tonnes of pulp capacity are being added between 2005 and 2009. The additional capacity will not result in any excess capacity, as demand growth is expected to remain healthy at about 6 per cent.

Debt funding

The current phase of capital expenditure is nearly four times the size of the capital expenditure carried out between 1996 and 2001. In the current phase, three players, ITC, Ballarpur Industries and Whitefield Paper (a new greenfield venture), will account for about Rs 5,300 crore, or 60 per cent of the total capex programme of the industry.

More Stories on : Paper | rd & Newsprint | New Projects

Article E-Mail :: Comment :: Syndication :: Printer Friendly Page



Stories in this Section
`Safety norms being ignored at mines'


Outlook for Indian job market buoyant: Survey
AP units told to hike iodised salt output
Electricity, mining propel July industrial growth 12.4%
`Technology has transformed welding industry'
Idaho opens trade office in India
Shanghai meet
Ranbaxy launches asthma drug
Subsidy sharing: ONGC suggests `price equalisation discount'
States to review stance on CST compensation package
Cable row leaves cricket buffs in the lurch
Prof Pylee felicitated
Foundation laid for engg college
Corporate governance course
`Commitment shapes path to leadership'
Sun Micro, BIT to set up competency centre
Food processing stocks post steady gains
Delhi witnesses big realty growth: Survey
Work on Ambur-Vaniyambadi leather cluster on track
Large capex may strain paper cos' financials: Crisil
Raghu Mody is ACMA President
Mining sector against giving captive iron ore mines to steel cos
ICSI looking at global opportunities
UTI AMC in talks with SHGs
KERC final order on power tariff revision by October 15
An emerging economic order
Art of public posturing
Call for leveraging IT for the auto industry
Engineering design contest
Global cashew meet to discuss marketing strategies
Domestic producers of herbal products seek data-exclusivity


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | The Hindu ePaper | Business Line | Business Line ePaper | Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2006, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line