Business Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006


News
Features
Stocks
Cross Currency
Shipping
Archives
Google

Group Sites

Industry & Economy - Paper, Board & Newsprint
Newsprint makers plan strategy for difficult times

Badal Sanyal

Swinging facilities in plans to offset times of uneconomic sales price


INMA's survival strategy may, however, put pressure on domestic bulk consumers, particularly who depend on domestic newsprint.

Kolkata , Aug. 15

Domestic newsprint manufacturers are worried that they may find it difficult to survive only as producers of newsprint unless they acquire certain economies of scale to compete with imports. Although it will be tough for them to attain an international scale of operation on the basis of local forest raw material, the Indian Newsprint Manufacturers Association (INMA) has suggested to its member-units to examine the possibility of captive plantations abroad, preferably in countries such as Brazil, Chile and Indonesia.

Survival strategy

An office bearer of INMA has indicated that most of its member-units have decided to introduce swinging facilities in their existing manufacturing facilities so that they could produce writing and printing paper instead of newsprint at the time of uneconomic sales price of their products. In other words, they would prefer to produce newsprint only when they find its manufacturing profitable. The arrangement has been made to ensure its viability.

INMA's survival strategy may, however, put pressure on domestic bulk consumers, particularly who depend on domestic newsprint. The INMA source told Business Line that the per capita consumption of newsprint in the country would be about 7 kg as against 4 kg a few years ago.

Domestic demand

The total domestic demand in the current fiscal (2006-06) would be about 19 lakh tonnes (15 lakh tonnes). The demand was likely to grow by 10 per cent in the coming years. Importantly, consumption is increasing steadily from non-newspaper publishing applications. Therefore, the demand might be more than the projected volume.

Domestic production (about 8 lakh tonnes) takes care of only about 55 per cent of the total consumption leaving 45 per cent (7.5 lakh tonnes) to imports. In fact, India imported from a total of 54 countries in the last four years. Out of them, nine countries such as Canada, Finland, Hungary, Korea, Philippines, Russia, Sweden and USA shared most of the country's imports.

More Stories on : Paper | rd & Newsprint

Article E-Mail :: Comment :: Syndication :: Printer Friendly Page



Stories in this Section
Minister moots ombudsmen for rural job scheme


PM hints at food, fuel price hike
ONGC, GAIL, OIL to share Rs 6,000 cr of Q2 burden
Panel working on inverted duty
Ras Al-Khaimah woos Indian cos
India Inc to be showcased in Sudan
IPE to host two-day seminar
Crude likely to be bullish, gold weak
Of tar sands and sand castles
Gilead in pact with 3 Indian cos for AIDS drug
NTPC Simhadri plant's feat
`Steel-specific SEZ for Vizag'
End of a fragile peace in Sri Lanka
Broadcast Bill: Govt to address concerns
`Software industry looks for talent with value addition'
Breaking the glass ceiling with aplomb
Karnataka CM announces new housing scheme for poor
Newsprint makers plan strategy for difficult times
Assocham call to focus on manufacturing and services
Cola ban not to impact FDI: Assocham survey
Employees oppose FDI in insurance
ORR project oustees seek land instead of money
Panel for focus on institutional finance for rural housing
ASCI workshop from Aug 17
Commander-in-Chief speaks
Nod for re-export of defective goods under SFIS
Tariff value hike of palm group of oils rolled back
Surat traders seek tax holiday for flood victims
Sikkim aims to be `all-season tourist destination'
Police caution public against MLM schemes


The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

Copyright 2006, The Hindu Business Line. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line